This post presents a method to perform simple / small migrations of records from HP Content Manager (also known, by virtue of acquisitions, as Tower software, Trim Context, HP Records Manager ) into SharePoint (any version – 2010,2013,2016,2019, Online, Office 365).
It is not suitable for large / complex migrations but is useful in certain scenarios.
The basis of the migration is approach is;
- Records in Trim – As Is
- Export the records using Trim Port
- Manipulate the record data using Microsoft Excel
- Import the folders using Import for SharePoint
- Import the records using Import for SharePoint
- Records in SharePoint, as we want them To Be
- Improve as required
Records in Trim – As Is
The records will be in Trim. Some may be “contained” inside folders.
Export the data using Trim Port
Trim includes a data transfer capability called Trim Port. This can be used to export records / electronic records and associated meta data from Trim.
Manipulate the record data using Microsoft Excel
The exported data can be loaded to Excel.
Here we can add columns / manipulate as required
Specifically we can add columns for;
- The full file path to the electronic records.
- The destination filename
- The destination folder.
Import the folders using Import for SharePoint
We can run an import to create the folders.
Import the records using Import for SharePoint
We can import the records themselves.
Records in SharePoint, as we want them To Be
The records will now be in SharePoint. Those records that were contained in folders will be so in SharePoint.
Improve As Required
You’ll want to improve and address;
- Transfer of all necessary meta data and renditions
- Records type to content type conversion.
- Retention / disposition
- Security, specifically permissions
If you needs are complex you likely require a migration solution specifically designed for this type of migration.